WORKING IN AN OFFICE

 


First of all you need an office building like this one at 160 Pine Street on the northeast corner of Pine & Battery Streets in San Francisco, CA where I worked for an insurance company for several years.

 
Or this building on Webster Street in Oakland, CA where I also worked for the same company.

And if you were a clerk typist as I was to begin with, you would need a desk and a typewriter.  In this case my desk was being moved to a new location.  I worked in the automobile claims department of an insurance company taking calls from unfortunate insureds who had had accidents and were calling to report them.  I took down all the information, set up a file for them, contacted the underwriting department to check on their insurance, then turned the file over to the Examiner who would be handling the claim from that point on – assigning it to an adjuster who would go look at the car, assess the damage, and talk to our insured about the accident.

Sometimes an adjuster would need more information and I would see what I could find out.  I remember one time it was unclear who had had the right-of-way at the intersection where the accident occurred.  Our insured said he had the right-of-way, that the other person had run a stop sign.  The other party in the accident, however, said they had had the right of way, that our insured  had run a stop sign.  Hmm?  Who to believe?

I called the city’s department of streets and roads and asked what their records showed about the placement of stop signs at that intersection.  Their records showed our insured had had the stop sign, but he continued to insist the other party had.  So I sent the adjuster out to take a picture of the intersection which clearly showed the city’s records were wrong.  The other party had had the stop sign and our insured had had the right-of-way!  Things like this happening now and then made the job interesting, a bit of a challenge, and kind of fun. J

I was later promoted to an examiner position handling cases where opposing insurance companies, unable to agree on who was responsible for the accident, had to submit information supporting their side to subrogation court where a final decision was made.  This involved researching and finding every possible piece of evidence supporting our claim on our insured’s behalf and I loved doing it.

On occasion I was required to spell our switchboard operator in the smaller Oakland office, so I had to learn how to run one of these babies.  Connecting incoming calls to office personnel, or placing outgoing calls for them was easy. Putting conference calls together, however, was a bit tricky.  I did okay though until the day I put together a 3-person conference call from our office in Oakland, to offices in Chicago and New York.  I was relieved to have gotten it done and sat back to relax - accidentally catching one of the trunk lines as I pulled my hand back through the tangle of cords and disconnected the office in Chicago!  Fortunately I realized what I’d done right away and was able to reconnect the line in time to avert a catastrophe.  All the Chicago party would have experienced was a slight “blip” in their phone conversation.  Whew!  

A famous lady who made up a famous comedy routine about operating one of these things.  "One ringy-dingy . . . "

Speaking of phones & switchboards, if your job as a high school receptionist was to answer phones and your office didn’t have an actual switchboard, you’d be ‘it’ with a telephone like this one with 4 incoming/outgoing lines, and 26 intercom lines for the teachers and office staff.  It was a bit daunting at first, but once I learned to answer an incoming call with “Please hold.” it was fine. J  I do have to admit I’m not all that pleased when I call a place and am told to “please hold”.  But one can’t be on every line at the same time!

I’m retired now, but I have a sweet little roll-top desk which is rather crammed full in this photo.  I do clean it out once in a while.  It has a nice little pull-out writing board.

And once upon a time I had this pretty little blue portable typewriter.  It wasn’t electric, but it was easy typing for a manual.

Now I have a handy computer & printer set-up with a nice view out the window of the houses across the street, lots of trees, and the hills beyond. (and yes, that’s a polar bear hugging a lobster in the side chair.) J

The best loved job I ever had, however, was not in an office, but in a classroom or the cafeteria/event room teaching elementary school classroom music and directing an all-school chorus of 75 kids!  So much fun.  I did it for 6 years until sadly, funding for music programs dried up.  In the photo I was directing the all-school chorus in a musical called “Kids for America” in the spring of 1985.  In the picture, though you can’t see it, the chorus wraps all the way around to the other side of the stage!  I’m standing at the middle of it.  The “all-school” title is a slight misnomer.  The chorus included 5th through 8th grades.  What a joy it was to work with those young voices - usually singing at the top of their lungs unless, of course, the music called for pianissimo. J 

:->

La Nightingail


Comments

  1. I really enjoyed hearing about your research and sleuthing capabilities in the insurance business. Those switchboards are what I learned first (still in high school) and then many a receptionist job with the multi-line desktop phone systems. But I must say my heart beat a double time at seeing the Smith Corolla portable! It's just like the one I took with me in a van camping trip all over the US, and did a bit of journaling on it in the mid 70s. Of course you enjoyed a musical job best because that's you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's a "snap" for us - the little blue portable typewriter. I loved that thing. It was so easy to type on. But then along came word processors & computers. I hung onto it for a while but finally gave it away. I kind of wish I'd kept it, though. I don't have a laptop & that little portable would allow me to type while sitting out on my patio. I could then scan what I typed into my computer & go from there. As it is, I use pen & paper when I'm outside and in a writing mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blue typewriter has a QWERTY keyboard. A couple of years ago I found that in France (and Belgium), people use the AZERTY variant. It is not only the A and Z that changed places, also the M is "hidden" elsewhere. When visiting an internet café in France years ago, I ran into this phenomenon. It took me a while to find out why I made all these typing errors ...
    Having been in the insurance business I'm sure your blue machine has been used to produce fine print ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very nice medley on our theme. I can kind of relate to your insurance job because my dad was a claims adjustor for a service that handled accidents to companies with fleets of vehicles like taxis, dump trucks, buses, etc. His job required him to investigate accidents and connect with the insurance company. I have a huge collection of photos he took of auto/truck accidents. Maybe one day I'll figure out a musical connection and feature them in a Sepia Saturday post.

    And for the $200 clue, I'll say, "Who is Lily Tomlin"! Another example of a funny skit that was hilarious in its time but now would just confuse most people. I think she "accidently" pulled cords too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE ANCESTOR HAT PARADE

WRITING: SUSTENANCE FOR THE SOUL

A TRIP TO YO-SEMITE IN 1874 - PART 5