OVER THE WATER

 


Me, in white shirt kneeling down to bait my hook, and my sisters and brother fishing from an old falling-down bridge over the Truckee River just below Lake Tahoe.  I caught a 9 inch trout!

I was standing on a bridge over the upper Merced River in Yosemite National Park when I took this picture of “Happy Isles” – so named for the happy sound the water makes tumbling over all the rocks in the shallow streambed as the river flows around two islands on its way down to the valley floor.  I don’t remember if this was the first or second island the river divides around.

The western side of the Oakland-San Francisco Bay Bridge stretching over the waters of the bay.  The bridge is separated by a tunnel through Yerba Buena Island so there are the eastern and western sides to it.  I took this picture from a helicopter landing pad where I think I’ve mentioned before a friend and I used to go to eat lunch on our lunch hours when I was working in the City.  We sat right down on the water – over it by no more than 3 feet, sitting on the big thick timbers bolted around the edge of the cement pad.  I never worried about falling in the water back then, but I might now?  Funny how 60 years could make a difference?  For one thing, I probably wouldn’t even be able to get down to sit that low anymore, and I surely wouldn’t be able to get back up without help! 

The lovely old stone bridge over Stow Lake in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park.

The Richmond-San Rafael bridge over San Francisco Bay with Mt. Diablo in the distance.

The Golden Gate Bridge, under construction, hanging over the entrance to San Francisco Bay.

During swimming lessons in the summer of 1977 at Bass Lake, Calif. my son takes a big leap over and into the lake – a real exercise in faith as he had just learned how to swim!

This leap over and into “Rainbow Pool” off highway 120 on the way to Yosemite is a bit more daring than my son’s leap, but we don’t know if it’s the fellow’s first or hundredth time doing this so we can’t judge if it’s a leap of faith or just an idiotic thing to do?  (my opinion)  And look at all the other fools waiting their turn.  Most make the jump safely, however. 

A labeled overview of Pine Mountain Lake where we lived for 28 years.  There are two other beaches not shown, and the golf course isn’t labeled but is fairly obvious. I’ve always lived near some body of water – the ocean, a bay, a river, a creek, a lake, a pond.  Currently I live just up the hill from our subdivision’s clubhouse swimming pool. J

Eldest daughter took a picture of her feet overlooking the clubhouse swimming pool.  It is a rather nice pool.  (Actually, I think she took the picture to show off her newly pedicured and painted toenails.) J

:->

La Nightingail

Comments

  1. Wow, that pool sure looks enticing given this summer's heatwaves. Love the photo of the Oakland-SF Bay bridge -- same one my dad traveled over by train during WWII Navy training. And congrats on catching that trout from the fallen-down bridge. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first photo is a great match for the prompt. In my family, no one ever went fishing, that I heard of - and I certainly never did. So no photos of that kind in my albums!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fine refreshing collection of waterful pics! I also have always lived by water, usually saltwater, and now live by mountain rivers and creeks. Ocean waves have a rhythmic song that is different from freshwater streams. Some of those, like your raging river in Yosemite,are so LOUD you can't hear anything else! I prefer the calm pulse of an ocean surf.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE ANCESTOR HAT PARADE

WORKING ON BUILDING THINGS

WORKING ON CREATING THINGS