SPECIAL TIMES: KIDS JUST WANNA HAVE (HALLOWEEN) FUN!

 


Our first Halloween trick-or-treater, our son, went round dressed as a purple cow.  I found the mask first, then made the outfit to match it. J

The following year he was an Indian warrior.

Three years after that he was “Mr. Spock” complete with the ears.

That was the year his oldest sister first went trick-or-treating as a princess.

The next year saw big brother as a skeleton with eldest sister wearing the purple cow costume and younger sister pretending to be a dragon.  I made all three costumes.  The bones of the skeleton costume were cut out of iron-on material.  Eldest daughter inherited the cow costume from her brother.  Little sister never did wear it, but a cousin’s daughter did. J

And here they are with their treat bags ready to be filled up!  That Halloween was a little different.  Some friends had come to visit us with their children that evening.  Unfortunately they didn’t believe in celebrating Halloween so didn’t allow their children to go trick-or-treating but said they were fine with our children making the rounds.  So I took our kids trick-or-treating while my husband stayed home to visit with the friends (and dole out candy to trick-or-treaters coming to our door!).  When the kids and I returned home, I was so proud of them.  On their own they asked if they could share their ‘bounty’ with the other children and when their parents said okay, that’s what they did. :))   

Four Halloween’s later, eldest daughter was the Pink Panther, youngest daughter was a mermaid, and big brother, on a dare from his friends, chose to be a cheer leader and as a kind of “Ha Ha Ha” to his goading friends, the girls at school thought he was ‘cool’ and the cheerleaders did a cheer with him. J

The following year younger sister was a 1920s flapper, and older sister was a kind of 1940s Marlena Dietrich type – both wearing dresses of Mom’s pinned to fit.  And yes, that’s a long cigarette holder with a candy cigarette in it. 

A couple of years later older daughter was a Dutch girl complete with wooden shoes I found in a thrift shop, big brother was some kind of 1930s big shot, and younger daughter was a clown.

This was the last year I have any pictures of our kids in Halloween costumes so I guess that must have been the last year they dressed up else I surely would have had pictures!  The two girls did dress up three years later as saloon gals for Groveland’s annual “Old West Days” parade wearing Mom’s costumes from when she was active in the Golden Chain Theatre in Oakhurst.

Too bad I don’t have a picture of me in the black & red outfit singing “She Does the Fandango All Over the Place”, but I do have a shot of the black & gold one from when I played 'Goldie Hills' in “Ten Nights in a Barroom”.

I have one more Halloween picture to share – that of me as Raggedy Ann, and my husband as the Jolly Green Giant back in 1970 when we went to a Halloween party.  Lordy!  What were we thinking? :[]

:->

La Nightingail


Comments

  1. Wonderful memories of those trick or treaters...and such fun costumes. I do like the changed persona that happens when one dons a costume!.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE ANCESTOR HAT PARADE

WORKING ON BUILDING THINGS

WORKING ON CREATING THINGS