CAPELETS, CAPES, SHAWLS, & STOLES

 


From a PR photo for a play I was in, I was an old granny who spent most of the play sitting in a rocking chair knitting, wearing a homespun gown with a lace capelet over the shoulders.

Sometime later, another actor wore the gown with the lace capelet to play the part of Mother Goose.

A large sheer lace collar becomes a faux capelet for this dress.

A sheer capelet turns a strapless gown into the perfect wedding dress.  Bridesmaids could do the same over formal gowns they could wear again without the capelet.


These lace capelets can change the look of any dress.

This is a gorgeous sparkling sleeved slipover capelet atop a slim dress worn by Doris Day in the movie “Lover Come Back”.  I love it.  She got to wear the best clothes in her movies!

I made a black cape much like this in style to wear for a part I was playing in a melodrama.  The only difference is the cape in the picture is in black velvet.  Mine was done in black water-silk taffeta.

I was another little old lady in this outfit featuring a crocheted black shawl with gold thread running through it.

Remember my doll, Estelle?  She sometimes models things for me like this beautiful gold and silver shawl.

A sheer pale gold stole with gold embroidery was a perfect cover-up with my strapless yellow formal in 1957.


That’s me back there in the corner in a lot of black lace with a black lace stole.  I was “Senora de la Guitar” and it doesn’t show in a black & white photo, but the color of the gown under all that black lace is bright pink!

In another play at another time, another actor wore the black lace dress with the bright pink underskirt and black lace stole in a slightly different manner.  These 3 gals were playing the parts of saloon girls in a production called “Love Potion #1”.


In another role, I wore a fur stole slipped over one shoulder playing the part of a rich woman of means.  The fur was real and old and had a musty smell so I was glad I only had to wear it in one scene.  I also had practically every piece of rhinestone jewelry I owned pinned to the lapels of the jacket. :[]

This gal played ‘Louella Carsons’ in a fur stole to my ‘Hedda Hatter’ in another production.  Not sure if it was real or faux?

And remember the Queen Mum throwing a dart a few weeks ago – well, she was wearing a fur stole when she did it and you can be sure it was the real thing as are those pearls.

A friend of my mother’s won a full-length mink coat much like this one in the 1950s and was planning to keep it until she found out how much it was going to cost to insure it.  She wore it a couple of times for the thrill of it, then sold it.

But oh, wouldn’t it be fun to have something like this?  And it’s okay. It’s faux. J  But where would I wear it?  Ah well . . .

:->

La Nightingail

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOLLOWING THE FRANK HERBERT BRADLEY FAMILY

A PICNIC IS A PICNIC WHEREVER YOU HAPPEN TO BE – SAND, DIRT, GRASS, ROCKS, PATIOS, DECKS, A LIVING ROOM FLOOR, OR AN OLD HELICOPTER PAD

THE SPORTS ARENA